03/03/2013

the first peerage scroll


  


  









I think it is a big day for a scribe when they are asked by someone they love and respect to create their peerage scroll so when Mistress Caitlin asked me to do her Pelican scroll I was touched and delighted. I knew she liked pretty and elegant and had a late period persona. So I spent some time looking through books on illumination and found what I thought was a nice image. 

Water colour on Fabriano print makers paper, regular ink ( red and black) and gold leaf. It was also a scroll that shows some of my early early gold work. I made mistakes and I see them now, too much white space and the capital letter is a bit bare but over all it's not bad for a first peer scroll. 


1 comment:

  1. My first peerage scroll has the (dubious?) honor of also being my first (complete) scroll. I'd done lots and lots of calligraphy for Northshield while living there, but only took up painting upon moving to Drachenwald, and after seeing only a few of my test pieces on LJ, my good friend Ursula asked me to do her laurel scroll. I'm still amazed at how well it turned out for how little experience I had!

    ReplyDelete