31/03/2013

Minion scrolls: Panache for Ali






This was one of those times where I tried something a little new. I wanted the panache scroll for Ailitha to be beautiful. She's my SCA kid, she's a lot like me and I love her to bits. I wanted this to show.

Done with gouache, watercolour on Fabriano paper, 23kt transfer gold and oak-gall ink. I don't recall exactly what the design was based on and I know I changed it around quite a bit. Now I see things I would have done differently, like add some ink work around the capital letters.  I probably would have also done the inner box frame in gold as well not just the blue. Sometimes it's hard to look back at older work and remember that at the time this was where my skill level was and I did the best I could with what I had.

The Panache award is for excellence in an art/science so I think the scroll should reflect this.

It's kind of funny that several years later I did a similar style for my second apprentice.


No comments:

Post a Comment